Day 2    Galatians 

God Told Me Something New?!?  

Today, I was reminded in Galatians to fear the new man-centered revelations of “God.”

I notice in today’s reading Paul’s extra emphasis on the Source of his revelation of Jesus. Paul was stating God gave Paul his revelation of Jesus, over against coming up with this truth by men’s thoughts. Paul was asserting his apostolic authority against the false teachers’ authority. God’s gospel over man’s false gospels.

Notice these verses ... Galatians 1:1 Paul, an apostle (not sent from men nor through the agency of man, but through Jesus Christ and God the Father, who raised Him from the dead),  ...  Galatians 1:11–12 For I would have you know, brethren, that the gospel which was preached by me is not according to man. For I neither received it from man, nor was I taught it, but I received it through a revelation of Jesus Christ. ... Galatians 1:15–17  But when God, who had set me apart even from my mother’s womb and called me through His grace, was pleased to reveal His Son in me so that I might preach Him among the Gentiles, I did not immediately consult with flesh and blood, nor did I go up to Jerusalem to those who were apostles before me; but I went away to Arabia, ...Galatians 2:2 It was because of a revelation that I went up; and I submitted to them the gospel which I preach among the Gentiles, but I did so in private to those who were of reputation, for fear that I might be running, or had run, in vain. ... Galatians 2:7–9 seeing that I had been entrusted with the gospel to the uncircumcised, just as Peter had been to the circumcised (for He who effectually worked for Peter in his apostleship to the circumcised effectually worked for me also to the Gentiles), and recognizing the grace that had been given to me, 

Paul was making an emphatic point! The Gospel is from God not men. It came to Paul directly from the Lord Jesus not men. His teaching of the contrast between “works righteousness by the Law” and “declared righteousness by the grace of God through faith alone in Christ alone” is from God not men!  Why is this important? BECAUSE the SOURCE of the revelation reveals whether something is the TRUTH!  If it is from men then it is to be questioned and ultimately rejected as man exalting, but if it is from God then all people everywhere should humbly accept the message. 

Source is crucial!  A man’s message is produced by his depraved mind and heart. BUT God’s message is pure, holy, and right!  Only one message saves ... God’s message of salvation in Christ alone. 

So how does this apply to us today? Exactly the same as it did for Paul’s readers: FEAR and REJECT the “new revelations of God’s message!”  Beloved, the world is always coming up with new twists of the old lie of Satan.  “Did God really say?”  “God meant something new and better for you.”  People claim revelation from God, but their message exalts man not God. 

Even today, the social gospel is yet another attempt to exalt MAN over God!  Look friends, the greatest problem mankind has is not their health, wealth, popularity, or prosperity. The greatest problem mankind has is their wicked rebellious hearts that hate God and think they deserve better. THIS is all of us, the human race.  We must not fall for a different Gospel! We don’t save people from their worldly circumstances. We point them to a Savior who delivers them from judgment and the bondage of sin. God saves in Jesus Christ alone!  All other messages are from man and are to be cursed!  The only message that saves is pick up your cross and follow the ONE Who died for you!  Jesus says come die to self-exaltation and embrace the free gift of deliverance in HIS person and work. 

Father, help us to see our propensity to elevate man’s message over Yours. Protect the sheep from these false shepherds. Please Lord help us to stick with the pure and holy Gospel of Jesus Christ.  Help us to teach our kids and grandkids these truths. And help us live for Christ not the approval of others.


*** Disclaimer just note that these are observations, interpretations and applications being made from the text during a month long look at the book of Galatians. Obviously, as I read more observations will be made and interpretations will be tweaked and adjusted. This is by no means a final word on all interpretations made. This is a work in progress. By the grace of God I will be refined in my understanding of this book as the month goes along, so that I understand precisely what God was saying through Paul.  I am thankful God works in me through the process.  Even in my early feeble attempts at understanding His Word He is working!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog